Wednesday, June 24

Great Summer Book ~ The Lace Makers of Glenmara


I had the opportunity to read a wonderful novel called The Lace Makers of Glenmara. The story follows a young woman named Kate, who having just experienced loss and heartbreak in her life, decides to travel to Ireland to fulfill a journey that she and her Mother had always wanted to do together. There she finds new friendships, new love, and a way to mend her broken heart. She joins a group of women that are lace makers, and together they find a way to change their lives and to start again.

There were a couple of things about this book that drew me in right away. First was the setting. It takes place in Glenmara, Ireland and since my family is from Ireland I immediately felt a connection to that. The author, Heather Barbieri, does an amazing job of describing the foreign land. She really makes you feel as if you are right there with the characters. I could perfectly envision the small village, the cliffs, the sea. I enjoyed escaping into this new land every night while reading the book!

The second thing I really enjoyed about this book was the female friendships that are created. The bonds between the main characters is unbreakable and strong. These ladies truly see each other through everything, and that is very inspiring. Each woman has their own side story, has their own struggles, triumphs. I honestly enjoyed reading about these ladies so much, I could feel the trust and sisterhood between them. But the other thing I loved about them is that they tell each other how it is! They weren't afraid to speak up and voice their opinions, and give each other a little rustling. I thought this was very true to 'real' friendships out there. Your best friend can tell you how it really is, even if it's not what you want to hear. And you still love them afterwards!

The third thing, of course, was the love story! Who doesn't love a love story :) It reminds us that even after loving, losing, heartbreak, betrayal...you can find love again in the most unexpected places. One thing I admire is that Kate didn't just crawl in a whole after being hurt by the person she loved. She went out into the world, found a new adventure even though she wasn't sure where she would end up or if she would be strong enough to get there.

This book was such a pleasure to read. I adore books that I can get lost in, that I look forward to reading each night when my little one is asleep. A book with characters that I am rooting for, that I get attached to, and that I miss when the story ends. This book definitely fits all of those categories for me. I could definitely see women reading this book on a weekend while relaxing on the beach...perfect summer read!

The Lace Makers of Glenmara is a brand new release and can now be purchased on Amazon! You can also check out Heather Barbieri's website for more info!

Thank you so much to MotherTalk for introducing me to this wonderful book!

0 Comments From Friends: